after exposure

I read up on a study or something stating that a person who have been exposed to hiv can get preventive meds for hiv up to a 40 day window period, is this TRUE? The maximum days for pep to work is 72 hrs, right? So i want to know about this study that i read a few months back because i cant find it now. Do you know anything about it please direct me to the right information... Thank you lots :)

Hello and thanks for posting.

In not aware of any data about preventive treatment (post-exposure prophylaxis) effectiveness after 3 days. PEP is very highly effective in preventing HIV infection if started within 72 hours and adhered to- I believe that too many people aren't aware of the potential benefits, nor are enough care providers tuned in to offer PEP.

Perhaps you're referring to studies about very early treatment for known HIV+ people- some of these studies initiated treatment very soon after HIV infection was diagnosed.

BY

When to start Atripla
do I need Pep for protected vaginal sex?