Just how good of a drug is selzentry?

Hello Dr. Thank you for helping so many people. I have drug resistance and have had the test that would enable me to take selzentry. I am wondering why there are not many questions about it on here. I am thinking it is not used very much or only in salvage regimens. Could you please give me your personal opinion on what you think about this drug? Also, I see that it works on the immune system rather than the virus itself. That is a little confusing to me. Thank you!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Maraviroc (Selezentry) is a CCR5 co-receptor blocker that prevents HIV from entering cells. It's a very well tolerated and effective medication, as long as special HIV tests confirm that your virus uses this receptor. The medication prevents the binding of the virus to your CD4+ cells rather than inhibiting a viral enzyme.

It hasn't been used as much as other medications, primarily because of its twice-daily dosing, lack of co-formulation (compared with Atripla, Complera or Stribild) and requirement of CCR5 utilization. If you have a drug resistant virus and maraviroc provides one of the required 2 or 3 active medications, I'd have no reservation in using it.

Hope that helps, BY

naive patient- half dose?
SWITCHING OF MEDICINE