Is taking PEP for a longer period necessary after changing regimen?

Hello, After a week of PEP which I got in another country it was changed to the local regimen because of availability. I was then advised to continue the local regimen for a full 28 days, so 35 days of PEP total. Is this really necessary or is a total duration of 28 days enough? To be complete the regimen was changed from kaletra and combivir to atazanavir and combivir after one week. I have now had 33 days of PEP and I am strongly considering stopping because of side effects and the fact that I'm not convinced it's necessary. Thank you for your answer!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Since both regimens (ie., Kaletra/Combivir and Ataznavir/Combivir) are active PEP regimens, you don't need to extend your treatment duration-- a grand total of 28 days of treatment (Kaletra days+ Atazanavir days) should do

Hope that helps, BY

med switch - steady-state plasma concentration
time change