Atripla as second regimen?

Dear Dr. Benjamin, my sister has been taking abacavir and lamuvidine. However, recently the doctor because of shortage of abacavir changed the regimen to atripla and lamuvidine. As she has been on second line regimen for the last three years, can the return to atripla (which I think is a first line regimen) keep her healthy?

Awaiting your response very promptly?

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm not sure if I fully understand your sister's situation.

First, I'd hope that your sister has been taking more than just abacavir and lamivudine. A regimen of just two NRTIs would not be recommended, as it would be insufficiently potent.

Next a switch from abacavir (1 drug) to Atripla (three drugs) seems odd to me. Further, since lamivudine (3TC, Epivir) is very similar to the emtricitibine (FTC) in Atripla, this is essentially unnecessarily redundant.

I'd like to know more about what her previous first and second line treatments were in order to better answer your questions.

Hope that helps and look forward to hearing back from you, BY

Dosage time variations for Stribild
Is this peripheral neuropathy?