Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Waiting to die
Oct 31, 2013

I live in the deep south in the State Of Mississippi! I tested positive for HIV in January of 1990. Our resources and services here are almost non-existent. I have questioned my treatment and care with my doctor numerous times and I feel like I am being punished! At my last doctors visit I was informed that I would no longer be receiving help thru the Ryan White foundation and I would now be responsible for what medicare doesn't pay! Already barely existing I got up and walked out of my doctors office with the intent of ending my life because I can no longer afford to get medical treatment. My t-cells are in the 20's my viral load was 1500 about 6 months ago I am taking Complera, Dapsone and Zithromax. I have had these sores on my face for about 2 years now that everytime I would go to my doctor and I always mentioned them they would never be addressed, my partner and I both have always expressed concerns about my vision, my memory, me getting and being confused and all of gone not addressed. I guess what I am trying to ask is, is my medicine regimen sound normal as in what I should be taking? I apologize if this question is a little confusing I am just distraught and at the end of my rope and I feel like the state of Mississippi is hoping that I will hurry up and die!

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

Your post reminds us that not all resource-limited countries are in Sub-Saharan Africa.

With your very low CD4 cell count, being retained in care and on medications is critically important. Your medications for HIV (Complera) and preventive antibiotics (Dapsone and Zithromax) are entirely appropriate.

Assuming that you have access to medications, I'd expect your health (including many of the issues you've raised) to improve.

Please stay in touch and on your medications- let me know how we might be able to help. BY

Previous
cd4 counts
Next
Med & Travel

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.