Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Testing after combivir
Oct 29, 2013

Hi doctor

I had an exposure this year to blood of an unknown person who was a high risk individual. The blood got on my skin and may have been transferred to my eye or nose as it was on my hand. My skin seemed to be intact. I had the blood on me for about an hour it was a small amount though, this was due to it being a first aid situation. It was dry when I noticed it and may have been dry the whole time as I only touched the guys hand to help him up.

My doctor put me on combivir at 3.5 days post exposure. I took a 30 day course. Two weeks after completing the pep I had a DNA pcr test done which came back negative and multiple negative rapid tests out to 6 months post exposure. Due to anxiety and fear and odd symptoms I had a 4th generation elisa test at 8 months post exposure with a negative result. I also tested neg for hbv and hcv at 6 months post exposure.

My question is am I in the clear now and truly negative or could the pep have altered my body's ability to make antibodies and could I still not be showing an infection? Desperate to finally rest assured of my status without doughts about what the pep could be affecting.

Thank you

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

If you tested negative at 3 or more months after exposure (and you've had no other potential exposures) your negative. Truly.

BY

Previous
Took my meds twice in a day
Next
HAART Combo + Flucloxacillin

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.