High bun Kidney function: piggy back Question

Greetings Dr. Youg, In reading our friends post and question to you, I too am concerned about Vitamin C. Does that cause increased chances of damage on your kidney's if you take a 600mg dosage daily along with your med. (Mines is complera) I do drink plenty of water, but I really don't want to risk damaging my kidney's and continuing to take Vitamin C (something I've been doing my whole life since childhood) if basically it will damage my kidneys and be a catalyst to unavoidable problems.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There's probably little harm in low dose vitamin C, especially if your kidney function is normal. That said, there's little evidence of benefit, unless you're profoundly vitamin C deficient (like the old British maritime sailors).

There's a huge, unregulated industry that sells people supplements, often without quality evidence of benefit.

Where there is clear data is that people who eat diets rich in fruits and vegetables (not supplements) have lower risks of cancer and cardiovascular disease. I'd offer up the idea that the best "supplement" is such a diet, rather than a pill.

Also bear in mind that while the risks of kidney injury from vitamin C is quite low for otherwise healthy people, there are many other important and preventable risks, such as high blood pressure, poorly controlled diabetes or untreated HIV. Getting good preventive medical assessment and care can play an important role in maintaining good health and promoting healthy aging with HIV.

Be well, BY

GcMAF
HIV Pep and milk products