atripla rules

dear doc, what is the ideal way (with food or without) and timing for taking atripla? can one stay healthy with atripla for long decades? how long can be expected? thanks.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Formally speaking efavirenz (part of Atripla) is to be taken on an empty stomach. This requirement isn't absolute, since it's mainly to improve the tolerability of the medication (taking efavirenz with food increases absorption).

If one tolerates efavirenz well, there's no need to restrict the timing of food.

So long as you stay adherent to the medication, there's only limited risk of treatment failure. Indeed, the risk of treatment failure decreases with each subsequent year of success.

I've had patients on continuous Atripla for over 10 years now and I don't expect any issues with treatment failure- indeed, the only reason for changing therapy for such individuals isn't treatment failure, but the availability of newer and better tolerated options.

I hope that helps, BY

Q and A
GcMAF