re: change of dosing times

Thank you so much for your prompt response, as Atripla is not generally recommended for post exposure would you recommend that I switch to something else, if so what would you recommend? I have been taking this medicine for four days now since the exposure happened on Sunday but I already feel like giving up as the side effects are unbearable. My body is totally failing me.

Best Regards

Hi and thanks for posting.

The side effects that you're likely experiencing are due to the efavirenz part of Atripla- this is much of the reason why the combination isn't recommended for PEP.

There are two options- you could continue on the other two thirds of Atripla, tenofovir+FTC (marketed as Truvada), or take Truvada with a third medication. Candidate third meds include raltegravir (Isentress) or a boosted protease inhibitor.

I'd suggest speaking with your care provider.

Be well, BY

Missed a dose of combivir
Hiv