Essential Supplements???

Hello. My most recent lab tests showed that after many, many years of swallowing dozens of meds per day (most prophylactic), my kidneys are showing signs of trouble and strain. Iâd like to cut out most of my supplements but realize as someone who exercises regularly I need many of them to maintain the health I do have. Like calcium and Vit D for bones (had a hip replaced in 2001 from general osteomalacia. My spineâs curved now too, but not too many guys seem to noticeâor at least donât mention that they do). Also now copper and zinc, as well as Co-Q-10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, N-Acetyl Cysteine, selenium, DHEA, B-complex, plus a mega-multi for men over 50. Can you please advise me if there are any I can safely dispense with, or if there are others I should be taking? As I said, Iâm a gym-goer, hydrate a lot, and eat well, so the kidney thing has to be just HIV wearing my bod down. Please advise me. Thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear about your kidney issues. Renal impairment is not uncommon among people living with HIV. Knowing about how to screen and manage kidney health is an important part of comprehensive HIV care.

Regarding your supplements, if you have bone disease or risks, it's important to obtain adequate, but not excessive vitamin D and calcium. Other than that, I'd actually try to dissuade you from taking the others. There's little evidence of benefit, and indeed evidence of risks (especially for you, from those that are metabolized by the kidneys).

Check out our pages at myhivclinic.org for more information about healthy aging with HIV.

Be well, BY

Pep
what meds might be best?