Free Radical.

My skin turned dark after AIDS diagnosed and started taking meds in 2007. It became slightly lighter after I changed meds to Edurant+Viread+Epzicom combo from Kaletra+Truvada in 2012 but still darker side than my original color. I've been searching for the reason on the web and I read an article about high granulocyte count make people skin color change due to over free radical in their body. Do you think it is the cause? Is there any other possible cause you can think of? Is there anything I can try for it? Ashley.

Hello Ashley and thanks for posting.

I'm not aware of any high quality data that links skin pigmentation to free radical levels. Indeed, much of the online literature linking free radicals to anything has not stood the test of analysis.

Your skin changes could have been the result of the emtricitabine you took earlier- it's also a known complication zidovudine (AZT) treatment.

Also, I note that you're on a quite unusual regimen of 3 NRTIs and a NNRTI. Is there a reason for the 3NRTIs? Do you have a drug resistance history?

Be well, BY

Protease inhibitor is bettter?
NNRTIs Mutations