Protease inhibitor is bettter?

Hi, Im going to work in a remote area for a while where i dont know if ARV is available or not. Im in Duviral (AZT/3TV) and Nevirapine. No significant side effect.

Do you think it is better if i change from Nevirapine to protease inhibitor like Aluvia (/kaletra) before im leaving to prevent resistance incase I cannot get any drug in the future? And i can go back to nevirapine when im back from there. There is not much option of ARV in Indonesia, my country.

My CD4 is 648.

One more thing, my friends said that cancer is cause by point mutation, while HIV reservoir has a long mutation(?). So, HIV cure might be just like cancer cure?

Hello and thanks for posting.

If you're doing well on your current treatment, one should look carefully at the risks and potential benefits of switching treatment.

In your case, I'd be pretty sure that nevirapine (or another frequently used NNRTI, efavirenz) is available in Indonesia.

If necessary, a switch to an alternate regimen could be done (such as the PI regimen you've discussed).

Seems to me the first steps are to link to a care center in your destination and inquire about the availability of medications and steps needed to be taken in order to receive care. Then any decision about medication switches could be done.

I hope that helps, BY

Hi
Free Radical.