Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Viral load not dropping anymore with complera.

On 2/2013 my viral load was of 39,000. On 3/2013 dropped to 1,770; On 5/2013 dropped to 150; On 7/2013 was 50 and on 9/2013 it went up to 100. Will I have to switch meds?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Not knowing your baseline viral load and when you started on medications makes answering your question difficult.

If we assume that your initial VL was 39,000, then I would expect your viral load to reach undetectable levels within 4 months of treatment. Yours is very low, something that we'll see in people who started ART with high baseline VLs (though if this were the case, I wouldn't recommend Complera, since this medication does less well among high viral load patients).

I'd want to know if your viral load tests were done at a time when you had a cold sore, sinus infection or recent vaccination- these are things that can increase your viral load without risks of drug resistance.

With viral loads less than 500-1000, the risk of resistance is quite low- so, I'd focus on your adherence (which includes the dietary adherence of taking your Complera with a full meal) and make sure to have the test repeated to make sure that things are ok.

Be well, BY

TB Testing
shortness of breath