Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Switching medication

I've taken Sustiva with its combination drugs (Ziagen & Epivir at first and then Epzicom since 2012) for around 2 and half years. I'm quite okay with sustiva. I mean I didn't have any severe side-effects. There are dizziness, tiredness, nauseous, and deconcentration after taking it. That's all. But I need to stay up all night often and Sustiva bother me to concentrate. That's why my doctor recently offered me to switch medication to Truvada and Isentress combination.

However, while searching about meds, I found out something about Sustiva. When anyone who took sustiva or any drugs which contain sustiva before want to switch meds, The person should plan to reduce Sustiva slowly. Not immediately stop taking sustiva.

I don't know how to reduce the dose of sustiva...Is that okay for me to switch to the new medication immediately? if not, How should I do to switch to the new meds?

(P.S. I'm Asian. Just in case.)

Hello and thanks for posting.

If your changing from one regimen to another, I'd simply switch immediately without any adjustment in dosing prior.

You'd basically substitute Isentress for the Sustiva- you could switch the Truvada for the Epzicom or not, as Isentress has been studied with both NRTI combo (though less with the Epzicom). Given that you've been on the Epzicom, it's not as evident as to why you need to switch, but as long as you've got good kidney and bone health, this would be acceptable.

I hope that helps, BY

FIRST TIME ON MEDS.
Stopping Meds due to Drug Toxicity