PEP drug combination
Oct 4, 2013
I made the mistake of having unprotected sex with another male who happens to be HIV+. I started PEP roughly 16hours after the incident. I want to know if my combination of Truvada (once daily) plus Combivir (twice daily) is the best course of action. I'm now on my 3rd day of medication.
Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
In short, you don't need to be taking both Truvada and Combivir- one will likely do for PEP treatment- given the choice, I'd use Truvada alone.
Some guidelines would add a third medication to the two in Truvada- usually either a protease- or integrase inhibitor (but not efavirenz).
Hope that helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Semen After Insertive Anal Sex With Condom Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Diarrhea After Anal Sex Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- Ear Infection After Oral Sex With No Protection Does It Mean I Have HIV
- Itchy Testicles After Masturbation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Vaginal Discharge After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Does Cervical Cancer Cause Pain?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.