Is Forstavir-3 for HIV cause for high lactate?

when i found hiv positive my CD4 is 96 and after using 4 years of Forstavir-3 now viral load is 475 and CD4=540. My age is 60/F. In recent blood test result lactate is 22. Is forstavir-3 increasing lactate in blood? Please suggest. Is Vitamin b12, b1 and iron rich foods help in decreasing the lactate levels?

Hello and thanks for posting.

It appears that you've had a very nice response to treatment with markedly improved CD4 cell counts-- though I'm concerned that your viral load is detectable currently.

Forstavir-3 is a generic version of Atripla (tenofovir/FTC/efavirenz). These medications are not associated with increased risk of lactic acidosis.

Testing for lactic acid levels isn't trivial as the sample needs to be handled carefully and processed quickly. Normal levels are between 4.5 to 19.8 mg/dL. If these are the units of your test, 22 is a little high. Vitamin supplements don't treat elevated lactate.

I think that the key question is why was lactate levels tested in the first place. Are you having any unusual symptoms?

Seems that a conversation with your care provider about the significance of the lactic acid level and what to do about your viral load finding are reasonable next steps.

Be well, BY

HIV Suicides and Cure
insomnia