missing or double doses

Dear dr Young.My son have been on Atripla for 2 years now he ia undetectable and his cd is around 537 as last lab.the reason I am writing to you is because lately I am getting a little worry because in July he missed 2 doses of Atripla like 16 days apart I think that might fall in the 95% acceptable I told his dr. and he said everything will be fine, but lately he have been calling me to ask me how many pills he should have left because I keep a record of the day he starts his 30 day supply,but today he called me to ask me again and this time according to my record he double dose yesterday I know nobody is perfect even with this illness I want to ask you will it be better to use a 7 days pillbox even without the desiccant that comes in the Atripla container? my other worry for the pillbox is that he keeps his meds in the closet that is in his bathroom in one of those insulated lunchboxes is a place that he feels safe so that no one could find them he has not disclosed his hiv status to nobody only 3 members of our family,WILL THAT BE OK then to use the pillbox that is in the bathroom closet in that insulated lunchbox ( luchbox of course don't have any hot or cold paks just the meds),I am sorry for the looong post but Moms will always worry for their children and I always had appreciated so much your answers. Thanks so much in advance,and God bless you Worried Mom that prays everyday for the once a month injectable treatment.

Hi Mom and thanks for posting.

I agree with your son's doctor, doubtful that the missed doses in July will have any consequences.

I do believe that using pill boxes can be very helpful, ironically, especially after the focus of starting therapy has become a little fuzzy with time, and one becomes more complacent with the ritual.

Indeed, consider having 2,3, or 4 pill boxes so that multiple week's of medications can be loaded at one time- saving time, inconvenience and disincentive to using the pill box. Unless you live in the rainforest, there shouldn't be any need for the desiccant.

Regarding disclosure and meds, if your son is taking Atripla, he should be taking the pill at bedtime- I can't imagine that he'd be taking the pill mid-day at work.

Stay in touch, and feel free to post questions anytime. BY

TB & just diagnosed with hiv (cd4 3% / 30)
thanks so much and follow up