Scared!! Long time use of HIV med can cause death?

Good evening Doctor!!! Currently I'm a healthy undetectable lad. The med I've been on for 6 months is complera. Doing extremely well with it. Thankfully. I've re-read some info about my med. Is it true, that over a long period of taking it. You can end up dead. This frightens me so.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Seems like you're doing very well on your medications, with no side effects and an undetectable viral load.

There's no evidence that taking any of the current HIV medications (assuming that one's engaged in your care and medical follow up) will lead to death. That's not to say that people have had very serious side effects (or even death) among first-generation medications (such as d4T, ddI and ddC), but current treatments are safe and very effective for the long haul.

Rather than be frightened by legacies of the past, I'd rather you focus on the most recent data from North America that suggests that life expectancy is improving and essentially normal. Indeed, healthy aging with HIV should be the goal for everyone.

I hope that helps, BY

Positive PCR RT RNA Test
atripla / valtrex