Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Throat Gonorrhea
Sep 21, 2013

I tested positive for throat gonorrhea last week and had treatment Friday 13th September.

Last night (tuesday 17th september) i kissed a guy and worried that I might of passed on the gonorrhea?

Also I have been told no sex for a week. Is this correct? Would the gonorrhea of cleared up by a week? Have I been told no sex for week in case I pass on the gonorrhea or have I been told no sex because I am at risk of catching HIV while having gonorrhea?

I have read you are 2-5 times more likely to catch HIV if you have gonorrhea if you have unprotected sex. When you say unprotected sex is this including oral sex?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Wohl

Kissing would not transmit gonorrhea. You are advised to not have sex for a week so as to not transmit the infection to others (in your case by oral sex). Treatment works quickly so you should be okay to resume sexual activity after a week. Some would suggest a repeat swab to make sure treatment worked.

The role of gonorrhea in transmission of HIV refers to non-oral sex insertive activities, not oral sex.

DW

Previous
vaccines in HIV neg who later becomes positive
Next
Can truvada & Isentress give you insomnia?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.