Medication for HIV Negative Persons Whose Partner Is Positive

I am a gay man who is negative and my boyfriend positive. In conjunction with barriers ( condoms, dental dams...), is there a medication that be taken as an additional preventative measure?

Hello and thanks for posting.

In short, yes. Taking medications to prevent HIV infection before exposure is called pre-exposure prophylaxis (or PrEP). The combo pill Truvada was FDA approved for PrEP recently on the basis of large clinical trials that showed effectiveness among heterosexuals and men who have sex with men. If one is adherent to PrEP, there is an additional ~95% reduction in HIV transmission (beyond condoms, etc).

PrEP is under appreciated in the community, and more people (and providers) need to be aware of it's effectiveness.

I hope that's helpful, BY

Nerves Discomfort At Feet
Should i switch