Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Visiting: Is using a resistant regimen better than nothing at all?
Sep 15, 2013

Dear Dr Young, first of all I want to give my best wishes to the father who wrote for his son. Regarding this context, I would like to add few information and few queries. I heard about the salvage therapy with enfuvirtide. I dont know whether he was on T-20 as a part of ART or not. That might help along with newly emerged integrase inhibitors (even dolutegravir works for raltegravir resistant strains, while i dont have information regarding elvitegravir's efficacy in raltegravir resistance). Yes, I completely agree to your opinion regarding joining a trial with CCR5 inhibitors and newer maturation inhibitors. What about putting him into therapeutic vaccine trial as done by Sangamo/ Genetic immunity etc? He has a VL 4000 and CD4 450, which is not a very bad status in my opinion. These 4000 HIV in his blood is definitely escaping the already used treatments but one more thing is that he is on complera for 6 months, may be few months later it may drop down to more and might get undetectable with some kind of salvage therapy with newly coming molecules (T-20, dolutegravir, rilpivirine, etravirine, maraviroc etc) and experimental therapeutic vaccines. What about putting him in a trial with CCR5 genetically engineered CD4+ T cells? There is information regarding its initial success. Finally, I hope for the best for him and his family. I must say, dont be depressed. We all have fought it since 1980. Now we know the devil better and have plenty new molecules in the pipeline along with therapeutic vaccines. I would like to suggest him to be brave to join a phase 1/2 successful trial. Once you make it undetectable, I am sure the remaining virus will become susceptible to the older molecules (am I right Dr Young? Isnt it the story of natural selection?) Cheers!!!

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting your words of encouragement.

I agree with your assessment about trying different, and sometimes experimental strategies, though resensitizing resistant virus was once tried, and found not to be effective.

BY

Previous
Unexplainable chest pain
Next
Switching to Edurant

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.