zostavax or varivax

hi doc, can i take zostavax to prevent shingles? what is the dose? my cd4 is above 500 and on ART. SHOULD I TAKE VARIVAX OR ZOSTAVAX? I HAD CHICKEN POX WHEN I WAS 5 YEAR OLD.

Hello and thanks for posting.

The Zoster vaccines are not currently approved for use in people living with HIV. This is because the vaccines are composed of live virus. While studies about their safety are ongoing, and likely to support their use, I'd hold off until we know more.

Until then, if you should develop symptoms suggestive of shingles, be sure to contact your care provider early. Treatments for shingles, if started early, can help limit the severity and duration of the symptoms.

Be well, BY

just diagnosed
Missed tenulamefav by six hours