Myprodol Syrup toddler

Hi from South Africa. My little weekend 4yr old foster son hurt his foot,he cant put much pressure on it. I took him to the doctor, it is swollen but nothing broken. He prescribed Myprodol 2,5ml twice a day for 5 days for the inflammation. I have been looking up Myprodol and see its not recommended for people with liver or kidney disease and because of the codeine not recommended for children. He is HIV+ and on Lamavudine, Abacavir and Kaletra, although he does not have liver or kidney disease I am aware that the HIV meds does affect these organs. Would it be ok giving Myprodol, if not, could you recommend any other over the counter medicine for the inflammation. Thank you

Hello and thanks for posting from South Africa.

According to my sources, Myprodol is a combination of ibuprofen, codeine and paracetamol-- all pain killers. Your right that this should be avoided in people with serious kidney or liver problems, but in general ok to take (when needed, such as your son's situation) for short periods of time.

There's no significant interaction between Myprodol and your son's HIV medications.

Having said that, my favorite anti-inflammatory for localized injury is simple, inexpensive and has no interactions--- it's ice. Applying ice to a muscle or joint injury for ~30 minutes several times daily can be very effective. Just make sure to keep a layer of cloth between the ice and skin to avoid frostbite injury.

I hope that helps, BY

Improved VL after stopping Revivo
lamivudine vs emtricitabine