Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

ART and Selenium immunace
Sep 6, 2013

I want to find out. Since i started taking ARVS my highest cd4 count was 299 and last july 211. I have started suplementing my diet with selenium immunace. My viro load is <40 detected RNA. What should i do apart from taking selenium immunace to improve my cd4 count. I am on nevirapine and truvada

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

Selenium has been shown to have modest effects on CD4 counts, but overall, the study results are mixed.

Your undetectable viral load is an indicator of the most important thing you can do to improve or protect your immune health- namely stay adherent to your HIV medications. It's important that other elements of your health are evaluated in this process- things like mental health, heart/lung/liver/kidney/bone health, just to name a few. Some people (especially those on Bactrim) have an slightly increased risk of having medication toxicity lower CD4 counts.

Also, follow your CD4 percentage over time, in some people, this is better marker of improvements in immune health.

Hope that helps, BY

Previous
HIV+ with inflamed skin inside right nose persistent minor bleeding
Next
HPV Vaccine

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.