1 Week Without One Med - Worried

Hi Doctors, I had had excellent response to HAART therapy over the last 10 years. My original regimen has remained durable all these years - except that my neuropathy has warranted to removal of Videx as one component. I was advised to stop my Videx immediately, and another medication would be added within the week. Am I in any danger of losing control of my viral load only on two meds (for this short duration of time/).

Thanks!

Worry Wart

Hello WW and thanks for posting.

Overall, it'd be better to continue taking at least 2, and preferably 3 fully active HIV medications, so a substitution rather than a partial treatment interruption would be better.

The answer to your question depends on a number of factors; is your viral load undetectable (if so, that's a good thing); what are your other medications? If a boosted PI is in the mix, it's probably ok. On the other hand if your taking a NNRTI, I'd have more reservations about the deleted medication. Last, do you have a history of drug resistance? If not, I'm less concerned, if so, I'd be more worried.

Hope that helps, and feel free to write back with any additional questions or follow up. BY

I just started my PEP today
Please answer, need new hiv regimine