HbA1c

Hi Benjamin,

I have diabetes type 1 since 23 years, am now 43, and taking Isentress and Kivexa since 6 month, when I was tested positive.

VL is now UD and CD4 was 1150 last time, so it's alright.

I tested my HbA1c recently and was 52 mmol/mol which is ok. I had 62 last years. However, I feel my blood sugar levels jumping. I measure from time to time and often high than low.

Hence, I wonder whether my medication affect the level so it's incorrect, and should actually be higher?

Also, I started with Stocrin and Kivexa, but the VL stopped at 900 and when I started with Isentress, I had no side effect (dizziness) and the VL turned to UD. I don't take Stocrin after that. Is this combo Isentress and Kivexa common?

Thanks!

Hello and thanks for posting.

Having a low hemoglobin A1C is a good thing, so 5.2% (I think your units convert to this level) is indeed an indicator of good glucose control.

As for your current regimen of Kivexa (Epzicom) + Isentress, it's not the most commonly used, but among those listed as "alternate" by current US treatment guidelines for first line treatments. We've published one of the early study results with the combination and found very favorable outcomes.

I hope that helps, BY

Worried about ghonorrea!!
PEP treatment: Combivir without Kaletra