Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

MAINTAINING OF CD4 WITHOUT MEDS
Sep 1, 2013

Sir, First of all thanks for ur support. Iam from India and my wife is positive presently her CD4 count is 530 and percentage is 18%. is anything alrming and how long can she maintain this or increase this with out medicine and with taking any supplement pse advise,can i know the time of infection since when she infected probably in number of years.

regards

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thank you for posting from India.

First, supplements don't increase CD4 cell counts, unless there's some extreme in poor nutrition or diarrhea.

Second, one cannot determine the time of infection on the basis of current CD4 or viral load results. Indeed, this is one of the reasons why we generally recommend (at least here in the US), routine testing for HIV.

Third, your wife's CD4 absolute count is in the normal range, but her CD4 percentage is actually quite low- approaching the 15% threshold that is AIDS-defining. If this value repeats on the next testing, I would suggest considering starting on HIV medications. Antiretrovirals (ART) is the only way to restore (or maintain) healthy immune function in people living with HIV.

I hope that this is helpful, BY

Previous
can initial infection be determined by first lab results?
Next
Celexa and Stribild

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.