Magic Mushrooms and Truvada and Kaletra

I've been taking Truvada and Kaletra for almost a year now. I recently got tested for viral load and CD4 count. I'm undetectable and my CD4 count is 547. I want to have magic mushrooms and I'm concerned about any interactions and risks there could be by mixing Truvada and Kaletra with hallucinogenic mushrooms.

Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There's not much published about drug-drug interactions between magic mushrooms (Psilocybin) and other medications, so what I'll say next is simply speculation.

The active compound in the mushrooms is not metabolized by the major pathways of HIV medications (ie., cytochromes), but rather through a system called glucuronidation (this might have some reaction with HIV integrase inhibitors, by the way).

I'd be cautious about using the mushrooms, so if you do use, go easy and I wouldn't recommend over doing it, especially when the safety issues about interactions isn't well known. Probably the more significant risk is if your recreational use interferes with your ability to stay adherent to your HIV medications- then that's a real issue that puts your long-term health at jeopardy.

I hope that's helpful, BY

sex and HIV
prevention of mother to child transmition