Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP dosage tming
Aug 24, 2013

Dear, I have been looking for this answer all over the web, but couldnt' find one. i have been exposed to HIV ( condom broke ) on wednesday August 20th at 5 pm, the next day aug 21st at 12.20 pm i took my first viraday pill, the third day on august 22nd i should have repeated the dose at exactly the same time, however as i did not know about the timing issues before and i found it hard to be on empty stomach at mid day i postponed it till 9.30 pm till i took my second dose, I am still inside the 72 hours today which is the third one, and i am planning to take it also tonight at 9.30 pm.

the whole thing is that after i read about the importance of being within the preferably 48 hours and max 72 hours, i kinda regret not doing it even if at midday, and my question is how will this 9 hours delay from 12 pm to 9pm on the second day affect my treatment, and am i considered now as someone who started the treatment after 48 hours but not later then 72 hours, i was happy i discovered early about PEP and wanted to be considered as someone who started it within 24 hours.. where do i stand now? i know i started at least inside the 72 hours, but precisely on the 52nd hour, but as i know that sometimes being that late is as missing the dose.. how you evaluate what happened? is anw starting at the 52nd hour sufficient enough?

Thank you in advance

Response from Dr. Young

Hello and thanks for posting.

I think you are over thinking this. Once-daily medications are just that. No need to follow the second hand of the clock.

Viraday (Atripla) is indeed a once-daily medication (we generally don't use it here in the US for PEP, BTW), and your transgressions in time wont have any significant effect on the preventive effects. Just keep taking your medication once a day; make sure to get monitoring labs and clinic visits at 1 and 3 months after your exposure.

Be well, BY

Previous
HPV, Aldara cream and low CD count
Next
Side effects which come and go

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.