HPV, Aldara cream and low CD count

I recently moved to another state, and the new HIV doctor did a complete physical on me. My CD count had increased to 132 and viral load undetectable. I take Atripla, Bactrim, Celexa, and Androgel. I also found out I had anal HPV. The doctor put me on Aldara cream - 3 times a week for three months. From what I understand, the Aldara cream doesn't directly help with HPV, but instead stimulates your immune system to fight the HPV. Since my immune system isn't functioning very well (low CD count), will the Aldara cream still work? I understand that if my immune system was working correctly it would naturally get rid of the HPV. Am I understanding it correctly? Thanks for any information you have. I have read a lot of things online about anal HPV - some articles make it sound serious and others do not. Should I be worried?

Hi and thanks for posting your interesting question.

There's no doubt that having a healthy immune system helps control HPV infection; people with very low CD4 counts do have more difficulty with HPV-related complications.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry. Aldara seems to help in people with high and low CD4 counts. No mater what, it is recommended that you get periodic monitoring (PAP smear, anoscopy) of your anal health. For an overview of HPV issues, check out our pages at AIDS InfoNet.

Hope that helps, BY

Any reliability in results?
PEP dosage tming