Any reliability in results?

Hi Dr Young, a very quick question for you from an anxious medical student. I finished 28 days of Truvada (only) as PEP after a high risk exposure and went for STI tests (including HIV rapid antibody test) at 6 weeks post exposure. This was negative.

Can I take anything from this or is it too soon still? I have read that due to delayed seroconversion, I should have tested 6 and 12 weeks from the end of PEP (despite my countries guidelines recommending 6 and 12 weeks post exposure). This wait is killing me and I have exams coming up, not able to focus at all.

Hello and thanks for posting,

You didn't test too soon, and a negative test at 6 weeks is entirely reassuring. As you can imagine though, you will still want to test at 12 weeks.

If you've been adherent to your PEP, you should rest assured (ok, I know first hand that it's not so easy) that PEP is very effective.

Be well and good luck on your exams, BY

Time between first and second doses of PEP
HPV, Aldara cream and low CD count