The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Exposure Question about specific PEP regimen
Aug 11, 2013

Hello Doctors and all else offering advice. I Was exposed to HIV via non-receptive anal sex. The receiver tested positive because right after we had sex I freaked out and immediately purchased an Oraquick. (He didn't know). We then, within 2 hours were seen in the emergency room and i was given 300mg of viread and lamivudine. My perscription subsequently is 300mg of both each day for 30 days. however, I am worried after reading the internet that this regimen is too weak. As though i should be taking 3 different pills each day. Is this regimen good enough? should i go back to the emergency room and ask for a stronger prescription. Its been 24 hours since my exposure, and I have taken my second round of medication.

Response from Dr. Young

Hi and thanks for posting.

There's a bit of latitude in PEP regimens, indeed there are differences (IMO, non-important ones) between recommendations for post sexual and non-sexual exposure exposures.

For occupational exposures, regimens like tenofovir + 3TC /FTC are recommended, for sexual exposure, a third drug, like raltegravir is recommended.

Personally, in my opinion, think that for any significant exposure (sexual or othersiwse) that justifies PEP, that a three drug regimen should be used.

If initiated within 72 hours of exposure and adhered to, PEP is very effective; I'm not sure if the differences in 2 or 3 drugs actually mater, as there are few studies that adequately address the issue. What's much more important is to stay as adherent as possible to the regimen.


Low CD4 and no symptoms
Complera and Pepcid AC or pencil complete.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint