HIV medication and anesthetic drug interactions

Hi Dr, I just had an oral surgery a few days ago. I had my surgery performed on the same hospital which I was diagnosed with HIV. What I am worrying now is that the anesthetist knows I am HIV+, but he never ask me anything about my HIV at all.. In fact I was the one gave him more details about myself as a patient's responsibility.. I was given Xylocaine 3ml and Marcaine 3ml for anesthetic. I am taking Tenofovir, Lamivudine, Ritonavir and Atazanavir for HIV medication. Do you think there is any possible drug interactions?

Hello and thanks for posting.

You HIV protease inhibitors (Norvir and Reyataz) have the potential to increase the levels of Xylocaine- this isn't a crisis, but might mean that the anesthetic last longer than usual.

Regarding disclosure, I always recommend that positive persons disclose their status and all of their medications to providers. This is especially important when interacting with non-HIV specialists, since they need to be aware of clinical situations and (as you've pointed out) possible drug-drug interactions.

Be well, BY

If no one knows your status, should carry medicine indicator in your wallet
syphilis