Can I split 100mg Norvir TABLET in half?

Hello. I've seen some research suggesting that a 50mg dose of Norvir may be sufficient enough to boost your PI to necessary levels. Considering the new Norvir tablet formulation, it would be quite easy to split the 100mg tab in half to achieve ~50mg. I know taking just half the dose would be "at my own risk," but is there any other harm in splitting the pill in half? (would it cause my body to absorb it faster than it should? etc). Thank you.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I would not recommend cutting your Norvir pills in half. The boosting doses of Norvir have been pretty carefully worked out and if you're incorrect, you'd wind up with inadequate levels of the other protease inhibitor, risking the development of drug resistance.

While certainly a noteworthy research finding, I wouldn't assume that it's ready for adoption.

BY

Atripla / Anasthesia
Low CD4 and no symptoms