Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New meds vs older meds
Jul 31, 2013

Doctor, Medications liek Atripla, Stribild just to mention some do really have less Long term effects when compared to old regimens used back the by some of the LTS on thii site. I just read that a lot of them mention that meds destroyed their bodies and have bunch of issues after so many years. Thanks

Response from Dr. Henry

Older regimens unquestioably were often both life saving and tough on patients bodies. Newer regimens both are better at suppressing HIV replications and being well tolerated both initially and over the first years of treatment. Only long term monitoring will reveal if there are hidden or not yet appreciated side effects from the newer drugs. I am cautiously optimistic from my own clinical observations and the medical literature that most patients will be doing OK in the decades ahead though dealing with aging and other non-AIDS or treatment related health problems will be challenging (getting old with increasing health problems is difficult even in the general population). KH

Previous
Started treatment early and Undetectable but.....
Next
switch to stribild from atripla

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.