Started treatment early and Undetectable but.....

Dr.Young,I started ART fairly early according to my ID doc. Only to a few months to get to undetectable. My fear is that over time, even with adhering to my med,as well as remaining undetectable that other issues will come along, such as lymphoma or any other form of cancer. Can you be healthy and UD if you have inflammation within your body? (like your organs?) This whole virus makes me nervous and makes me feel like I"m deteoriating swiftly. Is it possible that you can remain healthy in the long haul without complications? Also I know this is a hard question to answer. But do you honestly think that it's even possible we will have a cure to completely eradicate this monster? Again, I know how careful you have to be answer these questions. If you can't tell already there's a slew of things flowing in my brain tonight.

Hello and thanks for posting.

Long-term health and normal life expectancy is now achievable in people who have access to- and adhere to medications. One huge study from North America, called NA-ACCORD just presented their analysis which shows that life expectancy is improving and now over 50 years for the 20 year old on ART (ie., near normal).

If you are able to stay engaged in care, I'd expect you to remain healthy; I'd not expect your health to deteriorate rapidly.

As for cure, we're still a long way from prime time, but there are now a handful of well documented cases of cure using stem cell transplantation- so I think (very cautiously) that with continued investment in science, that the prospects are bright (if a little distant).

I hope that helps.

For more information about healthy aging and HIV, check out or pages at myhivclinic.org.

BY

stribild and weight gain
New meds vs older meds