Stopping medications for a couple of months?

I have been HIV+ since 2000. I also have Hep B. I am on medications (Truvada, Norvir and Reyataz) and am currently undetectable with CD4 count in the 700s. I have been covered under the Washington State Health Insurance Pool because me and my husband are under the income requirements. I recently found employment, which has brought us up over the limit, 300% poverty level. I will not have insurance coverage until September 1st, and I will run out of medication in about two weeks. My question is what potential complications are there for stopping medications for 5 to 6 weeks? Is this something I need to be more concerned with and try to find other prescription assistance for?

Hello and thanks for posting.

While treatment interruptions are not ideal (or at least shouldn't be done on a regular basis), stopping all of your medications at the same time because of insurance (or other supply chain) issues, isn't that bad a thing.

The issue is that since your viral load is undetectable and all of the medications disappear from your system at the same time (more or less), there's little risk of developing drug resistance. It's possible that as the virus returns in your system (usually in 4-6 weeks), you may experience acute retroviral symptoms again.

I hope that helps and wish you well, BY

Combivir and Efavirenz (Sustiva) as PEP
Third try to find the right combination