Combivir and Efavirenz (Sustiva) as PEP

While in Brazil, I was put on Combivir (2 times daily) and Sustiva (Efavirenz 600mg) (once daily) for 28 days after 28 hours of exposure. While reading online, I see that Kaletra and Truvada is more used... Is the Combivir + Sustiva effective? Should I try to change now? I am at my 7th day.

Hello and thanks for posting.

There's a wide range of regimens that are used for post-exposure prophylaxis. What's most essential is that you're started within 72 hours and stay as adherent as possible.

Here in the US, protease inhibitors (like Kaletra) or the integrase inhibitor, raltegravir are often prescribed due to higher rates of transmitted non-nuke (like efavirenz) resistance.

At this point, if you're tolerating your medications, I'd simply complete the 28 day treatment and follow up testing at 1 and 3 months after exposure.

Be well, BY

HDAC inhibitor panonbinostat.
Stopping medications for a couple of months?