Can I re-start taking Complera after having stopped?

I began taking Complera in January of this year and had to stop in order to treat an H Pylori infection. The infection hasn't cleared, so I will be starting a second and different round of antibiotics plus a proton pump inhibitor. I will need to continue taking a proton pump inhibitor in addition to something called Carafate for a while, but not sure for how long.

CD4 was 1171 and VL was 80,000 at the time i began taking Complera. Don't remember what CD4 was when I stopped but VL was undetectable.

Given that Complera is to be started by individuals whom have never started treatment and whose viral loads were > 100,000,

1) would this disqualify me from resuming treatment?

2) Would I need to have another geno/phenotype lab test done?

3) Should i consider taking Atripla instead even though the prerequisite conditions are the same as Complera (listed above)?

Is there anything else I should be aware or concerned of?

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

abe

Hello and thanks for posting.

1) A treatment interruption doesn't disqualify you at all for resuming your previous treatment.

2) Unless your adherence was really poor prior to the interruption, there's no reason to be worried about drug resistance (and hence, resistance testing).

3) While you could switch to Atripla, the reason to do so would have nothing to do with the concerns that you've raised. If you previously tolerated Complera, you could simply restart (with appropriate monitoring of adherence and viral load response).

Be well, BY

Low CD4 and no symptoms
Missed Dose