ARV side effects

My sister was diagonised as HIV positive and after the first two weeks of being on ARV's she is complaining about severe pain in the legs. I have just read an answer that indicates that it is normal with ARV's but would like to know how long this should be tolerated prior to taking further action?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Pain in the legs could be many things-- only some are related to certain ARVs. Some older ARVs (d4T, stavudine is the most common culprit) are associated with peripheral neuropathy. This is generally either painful or numb toes and feet, and occurs with a symmetrical pattern on both legs.

PN can also be caused by HIV itself, sometimes worsened by immune reconstitution in the first weeks of treatment.

There are other causes of leg pain, some are serious, including blood clots or infection.

I'd suggest that your sister contact her health care provider to discuss her symptoms and any needed interventions.

BY

cd4 went down
Took my HIV medication one hour late