Creatine level is high and gfr is low

My kidney function measurements have skyrocketed in just 3 weeks. They are Creatinine 1.58 and GFR 44. My doctor advise me to drink more fluids and he scheduled another lab work...and visit next week. I am somewhat nervous because I have been taking meds to help me urine... do to a turp procedure I had a couple of weeks ago. I use a cath to help me pee as we speak. Any suggestion is welcome please.

Hello and thanks for posting.

You have indeed poor kidney function-- as this has occurred recently, it's possible that this is a transient or temporary injury. The can occur if you have had prostate-related bladder obstruction. However, poor kidney function is common among people living with HIV, particularly as we all age.

At a minimum staying adequately hydrated is a good thing, as is avoidance of any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication (such as ibuprofen).

If you're taking a tenofovir-containing HIV medication regimen I'd strongly advise that you contact your HIV care provider about advice about how to take your medications- with this degree of renal dysfunction, you may need to adjust the dosing of your medications.

For more information about kidney injury and HIV, check out the renal impairment pages on myhivclinic.org.

I hope that's a helpful start, but feel free to write back any time. BY

Time zone change
Kivexa in the morning and Stocrin at night?