Hiv & Toxo

Hi, Doc! hope you are doing well Im on ATRVs for 16 month, mi CD4 around 700 an VL <25, But My doctor ask me to test for Toxoplasmosis which came back positive, she told i shoud start a treatment for toxo with a cobination of pirimetadin, folinic acid and Clindamycin for 6 weeks. Do you think this is accurate or necesary? she's a little bit concern about my constantly elavated CD3 and CD8 despite the good number of my CD4 and my undetectable VL, she asumes an elevated inmune system response to an infection, I also was tested for cytomegalovirus, eisten barr and HTLV which came back negative. Ive never had and OI, always feeling great, no ATRVs side effects. but I have doubts if the treatment for toxoplasmosis is really necessary. I will appreciate your opinion.

Hello and thanks for posting.

I'm a bit confused about which Toxoplasma test your doctor ran. If it's a Toxoplasma IgG antibody test, then there's no need for treatment. This test simply indicates whether you have had prior exposure to the parasite (as many have), but doesn't say anything about whether you have an active infection.

Treatment for the disease toxoplasmosis is only required if you have infection resulting in things like brain abscess-- this would be very, very rare in someone with a normal CD4 cell count like you.

Hope that helps, BY

Reswitch of treatment
re: hiv & toxo