Could I increase my cd4 with this shift ?

Hi Dr. Young,

First of all, thank you for reading this question. Im a 32 y/o man and Im taking medication for 2 years and a half now. I take azt + 3tc + viramune. I've never had any kind of opportunistic disease and I started my regimen with cd4 89 and a vl over 200 thousand copies. Since the second month of treatment, my vl is undetectable and my cd4 remains around 350 copies.

I dont have any side effects except an insignificant anemia. However, Ive been paranoic about facial lipoatrophy since I read azt can cause it, so I had a very serious conversation with my doctor and we both agreed about changing from azt to tenofovir and continuing with 3tc and viramune. Ill start this new regimen at the beginning of july.

Besides, its been 2 years Ive been suffering with a facial seborrheic dermatitis. According to my dermatologist, the main reason of such a refractory dermatitis is my low cd4. It would be really better if it was over 500 he said. Id like to know then if the change from azt to tdf can increase my cd4. And Id also like to know if you think the dermatitis could be transient even after two years without a day of truce and forcing myself to adhere to an everyday skin treatment only to relieve symptoms (its more redness than peeling).

Thank you so much for the opportunity and hugs from Brazil :)

Inácio.

Hello Inácio and thanks for posting from Brazil.

There are a lot of reasons to consider your switch from AZT to tenofovir- the later is better tolerated, once-daily (your whole regimen could be taken once-daily now) and would likely result in a small increase in your CD4.

In my opinion, while your CD4 is likely to increase, it's unlikely to get you an additional 150 cells, nor alone would improve the skin condition. On the other hand, it's conceivable to me that perhaps the dermatitis is a mild reaction to the medication; and either way, a switch seems like a reasonable thing to do.

One other thing to be mindful of; if the dermatitis is isolated to the face (and not the trunk or non-sun-exposed skin), I'd wonder if this is more related to photosensitivity (sun sensitivity). This is not uncommon, particularly among people who are taking certain medications.

Abrazos, BY

lactic acidosis
AIDS can live longer than DIABETES