Off my meds - feeling horrid

I recently had hernia repair surgery which resulted in a bed abdominal infection. I was put on major, heavy doses of IV vancomycin. The doctors did not monitor my blood/kidneys until 5 days after starting the Vanc. It was found that I had over 1000 times the amount of vanc in my blood that I should have and my kidneys had shut down.

I was immediately taken off all my meds including my ART.

That was over 7 weeks ago. I am out of the hospital and off dialysis, but was told my kidneys are only working at 40%. I have been told not to resume my meds until I see an ID and they cannot fit me in for another 6 weeks.

I am running low-grade fevers most evenings. I am lethargic, have malaise, am some-what dizzy, exhausted most of the time, need to nap, and have little to no appetite. When I do force myself to eat, I an only take a bit or two before I feel I am so stuffed I am about to have a reverse peristaltic incident.

Could this be from my increasing viral load? (3 weeks ago it was at 43,000 post ART, my CD4 was 900.) I was on Isentriss and Truvada. I am thinking about just restarting my ART because I feel so horrid... it is to the point that it definitely affects my ability to be productive in any way.

Please give me your opinion about restarting my meds or some other recommendation to be able to feel better.

Hello and thanks for posting.

It's entirely likely that your current symptoms are the return of the HIV in your body. It's as if you had primary HIV infection again.

The issue is that with having had kidney failure (and subsequent improvement, but injury) the tenofovir part of Truvada might either need to be adjusted in dose or (in my opinion) might be switched out for a suitable alternative. In many patient like you, I'd be considering a switch to a tenofovir-sparing regimen that could be abacavir/3TC (Epzicom or Kivexa) with your Isentress.

I'd press to be seen by your ID doctors- it would seem reasonable, both given your recent infection and your symptoms/viral load.

Feel free to write back, BY

Truvada at a different time then Reyataz
lactic acidosis