Increase in AST/ALT Levels

Hi, I am HIV + and being under medication (Truvada+Stocrin) for almost 2 years and I have 680 CD4 and undetectable viral load as of 31.05.2012. However it seems like my AST/ALT levels have increased. They are usually at 16-18 points, on my previous testing on February 2013 they were 18 but the last test results on May 2013 shows that my ALT level is 44 and my AST level is 67. My GGT level is between the normal ranks; 22 and my LDH level is 277 ( a bit higher than the normal rank, as usual). I had Hepatitis A shots and I am immune to Hepatitis B. I didnt have any blood transmission or tattoos, piercings or sth like that between February 2013 and May 2013 or ever. I just started gym, had a minor injury but that is not realetd to my HIV-status, no big change in diet or health during this period. So I couldnt understand the reason for this change in the numbers. What might be the reason for this change?

Hello and thanks for posting.

Your liver tests are not of great concern. The upper limits of normal of the AST and ALT tests are usually around 40-45. Minor elevations, like that ones that you report can come from a wide range of things, such as infection (not viral hepatitis, which results in values in the multiple hundreds), medications (HIV medications, but even a few doses of acetaminophen/Tylenol can do this) or alcohol. Occasionally, some patients will have elevations from supplements too.

I'd only suggest repeating the tests in a few weeks to make sure that there's not a continuing upward trend.

I hope that helps, BY

lump on left side of butt
Why Am I Doing So Well