Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Kivexa or Truvada?
Jun 6, 2013

I been treated with Truvada and Stocrin for almost 5 years with exelent results in Argentina. Because economy situation in here are changing, my Social Secure health are trying to change my treatment schedule to Kivexa and Stocrin. They told me is exactly the same. I want to know if this is like they said or there is a diference. Please, can you help me? I am afraid of changing it. Sorry because ofmy english.

Response from Dr. Young

Saludos and thanks for posting from Argentina!

Kivexa (Epzicom) and Truvada are similar in many ways- both are combination pills of NRTI inhibitors, both are recommended in treatment guidelines as parts of 3 or 4 drug regimens.

There are some important differences- Truvada contains tenofovir and FTC- the former can be associated with kidney and bone toxicity; this is relevant if you have significant risks of kidney disease or osteoporosis. Kivexa contains abacavir and 3TC. Abacavir is associated with risk of a serious allergic reaction- one that can be eliminated by genetic screening using a test called HLAB5701. Some (but not all) studies suggest that there might be a slightly greater risk of viral failure in people with Kivexa.

Kivexa (Epzicom) tends to be considerably less expensive in many markets than Truvada, hence the motivation to switch patients. Moreover, in the US, abacavir and 3TC are both available as separate generic medications.

If you've been doing well with your adherence and have an undetectable viral load, there should be little risk in the switch- but no matter what, after any treatment switch, thoughtful monitoring of your adherence, side effects, toxicity and viral control should be done.

I hope that helps. BY

Previous
Virologic Failure?
Next
sides effects

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.