Jun 6, 2013
Hello doctor Young,
I have been positive since December 2011 and on medication since May 2012. Before the treatment my CD4 was around 450-480 and VL cca 110,000.
I was put on Truvada+Stocrin and my first results went to normal CD4 (520) and VL 216. After 3 months (November 2012)this improved even more to CD4 being 712 and VL only 26. However, my April lab showed CD4 636 and VL 40.
According to my doctor this is still fine and I should keep using the same medication, I am a bit concerned I was not able to reach undetectable levels. I have a couple of questions:
1) I have never missed a dose but sometimes I am up to 60 minutes late. Could this be the reason why I cannot reach <20? 2) If I keep the same regimen in future, is this LLV predicting possible virologic failure? 3) Should I ask my doctor to change my regimen even though I have virtually no side effects from Truvada+Stocrin combo?
Thank you for your valued opinion
| Response from Dr. Young
Hello and thanks for posting.
Low level viral loads are almost always of limited consequence-- typically because either of lab error or of activation of the immune system that accompanies minor infections, vaccinations or illness. It's rare that I'll get excited about VLs less than 200 or so.
To your other questions: -A 1-3 hour shift in dosing has no consequences. -If you're otherwise tolerating your regimen, I don't believe that your pattern in VL tests warrants a change. Indeed, do make sure that the next time you test that you avoid testing with sinus infections, cold sores or the like... perhaps this is the cause of the issue. Alternatively, one could ask for a different, yet complementary test-- such as a b-DNA test; sometimes this helps sort out these issues.
I hope that's helpful, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Itchy Rash Worried It Could Be HIV
- Testicular Pain Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Hpv After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Jock Itch After Unprotected Oral Sex Without Ejaculation Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Night Sweats After Kissing Cold Sore Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Pain In Penis After Unprotected Sex Without Ejaculation What Are The Chances Of HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.