Availability of Inactivated Typhoid Vaccine

I had a question about the inactivated typhoid vaccine. My boyfriend needs to get the inactivated vaccine before he can visit me in Hong Kong, and he lives in California in the US. He says he cannot obtain the vaccine and that there is only one manufacturer. Are there any other manufacturers of the typhoid inactivated vaccine elsewhere and is there a way to obtain the vaccine? I would really love for him to come visit this month but he says he can't find the inactivated vaccine so far. I wonder if anyone could answer my question and it would be really helpful for me. If there is an inactivated vaccine available, he would have to get it as soon as possible. Is there possibly a way he could obtain the vaccine?

Thanks!

Hi and thanks for posting.

People living with HIV should be cautious in receiving live vaccinations-- for this reason, the inactivated typhoid vaccine is recommended for those people at risk.

Typhoid vaccine is usually available in travel medicine clinics or departments of public health. I'd suggest your friend contact his local health department for information about possible locations.

The US CDC recommends typhoid vaccination for travel to Hong Kong, yet one should be mindful that the vaccine is only ~50% effective. Risk is greatest if one is an adventurous eater and less if you're eating hot meals at established restaurants. Furthermore, typhoid is treatable with widely available antibiotics. For these reasons, vaccination is not mandatory and I would not use pre-vaccination as a condition of travel to the wonderful region.

I hope that helps. BY

blood
serquel and truvada and isentress