Meds effect on liver - What should we do?

Dear Doctor,

As I told you before, my bf has been taking meds for almost 3 months. The meds are: 1. Tenoforvir 300mg 2. Lamivudine 150mg 3. Effavirenz

Today, he got his blood tested as requested by the doctor here. The results are as below (the value in parentheses are indicated as normal value): GGT: 63 (40) SGOT: 77 (40) SGPT: 92 (40)

UREA: 45 (50) CREATININE: 1.0 (1.1)

CHOLESTEROL: 176 (200)

The doctor here didn't explain anything about that result and prescribed one-a-day pill for him (The med is from Mylan). My limited understanding is that the 1st three values are to identify liver function while the next 2 values are for kidney functioning test. According to this result, it seems that his liver functioning values have kept on increasing for my bf ever since he started his meds. The doctor is aware of this but still maintains the same meds for him. The values for liver functioning are now too high versus normal and we feel very worried. Our questions are:

- Is this elevation in liver values normal for people taking HIV meds? Will they stop or keep on increasing? Do they mean the liver gets damaged because of the meds?

- What should we do now? My bf is already on the treatment regime and he just can't switch the drugs as he wants, the doctor prescribes the meds for him.

- Can he take supplements to support the functioning of his liver? Can you suggest food/supplements he can take to help his liver?

Thank you very very much Doctor. We are truly grateful to you. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,

Ken

Hello Ken and thanks for posting.

Your BF has only modest elevations in liver function tests; I'd generally agree with his doctor that these don't require agressive interventions at this point (usually values in the mid 100's do).

Such low level elevations can come from HIV medications, but also other medications, supplements or even alcohol or acetaminophen.

Treatment change is not indicated at this point- but a thoughtful review of other possible causes (including viral hepatitis) would be indicated.

As for supplements; I don't believe that there is any supplement that "protects" the liver. Rather, avoidance of excess alcohol, acetaminophen or unnecessary vitamins or supplements is what I'd recommend.

I hope that this is helpful, BY

Epzicom option
Kidney and liver damage with isentress and truvada