May 31, 2013
I was volunteering at homeless shelter checking glucose. I stuck myself with a lancet after testing a man ( I had gloves on also). I panicked and didn't mention anything until several hours later but alcoholed the area immediately There was no medical info on the man. I went to my doctor and they drew blood for testing but he said my risk was extremely low and didn't put me on any prophylactic meds. Wondering what your assessment of my risk is??? It's constantly on my mind and I'm a mom of two small kids! Thank you.
Response from Dr. Young
Hi and thanks for posting.
Given that your injury was minor (ie., not a deep tissue wound), the instrument was not a hollow bore (ie., hypodermic needle), your risk is indeed very low.
You should have appropriate monitoring (including baseline and follow up tests) just to be certain.
I hope that's helpful, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Blood In Urine After Anal Sex Bottom Worried I Have HIV
- Bronchitis After Oral Sex On A Woman What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Burning Red Spots After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Burning Red Spots After Rubbing Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Flu Symptoms After Sex With Hooker Condom Broke Worried I Have HIV
- White Discharge After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.